Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Girls Running for Truth

Anyone who knows me, knows I am a bit crazy. I like to run. I am not good at it or fast in any respect, but I like it. Two years ago, I finally decided I would run the entire 26.2 miles of the Las Vegas Marathon. My lack of knowledge on proper training landed me a stress fracture and halted my progress, but I did manage however to limp, stumble, and crawl through the half (13.1) in just under 3 hours. Then I took some serious time off (and probably gained some serious poundage). The following June, I cut my goals a bit shorter and trained and ran the San Diego Rock and Roll half marathon and managed to impress myself with a shocking 2 hrs 19 min finish. With new motivation and love again of the sport, I decided to give it another go for the full Las Vegas marathon that year. I chalked up another half about a month prior to the full and then managed to cross that marathon finish line last December 2010. Something I am very proud of. The icing on the cake? No major injuries to speak of. I am also currently training for another half that I have dragged my husband into running with me.
So, yes. One could conclude that I kind of like running. I also like living a healthy lifestyle for my kids to witness. With a slew of health problems in both mine and my husbands side of the family. I want to set an example for my kids. I don't want them to just hear, "live an active lifestyle," or "eat a healthy diet." I want them to witness and experience it firsthand. Also if you know me well at all, you would know that my faith is a huge part of who I am. I grew up with so much confusion and self doubt, but one thing that has always remained strong was my faith in God. So this to, my husband and I have always wanted to demonstrate to our kids. Not just preach it to them but to truly show them what it means to follow Christ.
I am a Christian, I run, and... and... and... I home-school my kids. Alright, now if you weren't convinced before, you should be completely convinced now that I am a total nut-job. Any level headed college educated person would totally conclude that I am quite delusional and if my kids have any brains at all should deduct the same. So what?? We are different. As it turns out, my kids are quite different too. They are nice level headed individuals. My son actually is quite a good runner. Not to mention a pretty talented soccer player too- props to his coach of the last 5 years. My daughter is one of the most hard working, loving people I know. She doesn't look like other girls, nor does she act like them. She is beautifully unique. Different. Afterall no one ever said it would be EASY being a Christian. One Bible verse I have to constantly remind myself of is this, “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” 2 Timothy 3:12. So, I happily conclude we are different.
I have been running with this thought for some time now. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments. I see other kids and parents who seem to have the perfect life. They just seem to have it together. I find myself envying them. Their kids go to public school and are so-called "socially adjusted." I have these panic attacks asking my husband, my friends, family :"am I doing the right thing?" It drives me crazy when I get "the look" right after I make it known to a new acquaintance that I home-school my kids. I second guess myself constantly. Are they getting the education they need and deserve? Will they grow up to be so called "normal" members of society? What is the right thing to do here? And then after days (and many nights) of this panic, I suddenly remember... Oh yeah. I do this because I (yes me) felt it was the right thing to do. I feel this sudden calm. This feeling of God saying "I got this."
Then, I am back to this, "it is ok to be different." And so... different we are. In this craziness of home-schooling, we have access to many home-schoolers activities. A dear old co-worker of mine started this "Girls Running for Truth" 5K training program. This is a character building program designed to make an early positive impact on girls regarding their body image, "true" beauty, nutrition and fitness (quoted directly from GFRT website). Of course, this was right up my alley. I was oober excited about registering my princess for this activity. So tonight we went to registration and got her all signed up. She saw many old friends there and they were all playing and socializing in the park. She looked pretty excited too. My heart was glad. Then, we got in the car and began our short drive home and she asks, "will I have to... like... run??" Once again, I didn't quite have an answer. Some times, I think the apple falls farther from the tree than previously believed. This apple might have fallen even closer another one of my friends tree :) The good thing is, this dear friend and I are still growing in basically the same grove. She just doesn't run!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, what's not normal about running, a lot, and homeschooling? :-)

    You are doing great. But you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then other times, I look at Karen and her crew... in many respects, they are quite different right along with us... but they are also very normal :) Not to mention some of the nicest people I know. It is the support and friendship from people like you that helps keep us trucking forward in our many adventures.

    But Karen, you have to know the reaction I am talking about when you first tell someone you home-school your kids, right? :)

    ReplyDelete