Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thomas Crapper

After many years of homeschooling, I never had to ask the question, "what did you learn in school, today." I already knew. But, now since the kids are in public school I find myself asking that very question on a daily basis. Sometimes more than once per day. It is so hard to go from being in control of their education to a spectator. But, for now this is what works. And I ask the question.

 I usually get typical kid answers. "Nothing."

"I can't remember."

"Boring stuff."

"Things I already knew."

The one I love the most, "We didn't learn anything, we just played kickball."

If you have school age kids, I am sure you can relate. In particular, if you have middle school aged kids, they already know everything there is to know about everything.

Today, however was very different. The 12 yr old child was in the back seat riding home from his soccer practice when the question was asked. He was in a particularly talkative mood. So, we (as the stellar parents that we are) pounced on the opportunity to strike up a constructive conversation. "What did you learn at school today (so creative)?"

.... wait for it.... we actually got an answer. Not one of those pre-programmed tele-prompted answers that we usually get. An actual, kid thought out, honest answer about his quest for knowledge in his brick and mortar school.

"I learned that Sir Thomas Crapper is known for his innovations on flushable toilets."

"Play time is over. What did you learn today?"

"I'm serious Mom. That is what I learned. Isn't that awesome."

Being the super sleuth mom that I am, I pulled out my I phone and googled Thomas Crapper. Lo and behold, it is true. Thomas crapper. He did not invent the flushable toilet, but had great success in improving it.

Thank you Caesar Rodney School district for educating my son and preparing him for the life ahead of him. No matter what CRAP it entails!!

No comments:

Post a Comment